Saturday, May 22, 2010

Greetings from Camphor!


I have now been at Camphor for one week and it has been full of new and interesting experiences. My primary assignment is at the clinic, where I have been learning from the staff about how the clinic is run on a day-to-day basis. I started seeing patients on my own on the second day and have been prescribing treatments and medicines, which is challenging for me as a nurse from the US because I have never done this before. I am relying on the clinic staff a lot for help, as well as my medical books! The staff and students here have welcomed me heartily to Liberia and to Camphor Mission. Paul and Lucia have been wonderful hosts; Paul has taken me around to see many of the agricultural projects at Camphor such as the cassava and rubber tree farms, palm oil processing and coal-making areas, and has given me some fascinating and informative lectures on Liberian history! Lucia is a wonderful cook and has made some delicious Liberian dishes for me including fufu, palm butter, and sweet potato greens. I spent some time with the vocational students a few days ago and learned how to make soap from palm oil and how to make shortbread. I plan to spend a day “going to school” with the elementary and junior-high students some time next week, also. I look forward to sharing more with you next time!

Sarah

No comments: